Saturday, April 2, 2011

Guest Blogger: Miss D

Hey there!
My blogger name is Miss D, and I am a grade one teacher in Halifax Nova Scotia. I teach in a private school to students who are either immigrants or the children of immigrants. I don't blog about teaching yet, but I'm thinking about switching the focus of my blogging at And Something Pink to this after our wedding (my current focus).
I figure doing a guest blog here, and any anywhere else I'm asked ;) , is a great way to get my feet wet in teaching blogging.
I hope you like what I have to share!

Last week my class made our first of many art projects to welcome spring. My kiddies had a lot of fun putting these sheep together.
I began the lesson by telling them three sheep/lamb stories and asked them to identify what was the same about them.

Baa Baa Black Sheep
Mary Had a Little Lamb
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Materials:
Green Construction Paper
White tissue paper (precut into squares by the teacher)
One Crayon (I used black on my sample)
One Unsharpened pencil
Liquid Glue

Here's a tutorial for you in paint to show you how to draw the sheep. I found the instructions online somewhere, but I cannot find the link. I apologize to the designer of these steps, but all images are my own unless otherwise noted.
Pass out green construction paper and follow these steps.
Use your black crayon to draw two ovals near the middle of the page to form ears.
Next draw an oval shape connected to the ears to create the face.
Add your face!
Now I demonstrated how to draw a "cloud" around the entire page. You may want to make yours smaller, as I discovered that for most of my students this craft takes two hours to do, not the one hour I had alloted. Meaning the following Friday we had to finish them.
At this point I asked my students what was missing and we added our feet.
We passed out to pairs of students a square of construction paper (may I suggest cardboard instead?) with a puddle of glue, and laid in the centres of their tables with a pile of tissue squares. After a quick tutorial on how to place the tissue on the end of the pencil so their erasers don't get sticky, and how to quickly dip the tissue in the glue so the tissue doesn't STAY in the glue, they were off!
Miss D tip #1: Hold on to the tissue AND the pencil when dipping in glue to ensure they both come back.
These are now gracing our primary hallway, facing this weeks Bumblebees.
How are you welcoming spring in your classroom?
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment